Boroughmuir Bears 12 – 54 Glasgow Warriors A

Boroughmuir Bears 12 – 54 Glasgow Warriors A

Glasgow Warriors A team travelled to Meggetland to play Boroughmuir Bears in the second round of the FOSROC Sprint Series.

It was a sunny evening in Edinburgh as Boroughmuir Bears kicked off the game.  Glasgow Warriors started off with strong attacking rugby and within just the first few minutes had won a line out in the bottom corner. With a strong driving maul, Angus Fraser got the ball down on the line and Duncan Weir kicks the conversion, giving Glasgow Warriors a seven-point lead.

Boroughmuir Bears were keen to show that they can stand up to the challenge of the strong Glasgow side and returned pressure within the Glasgow 22. The Warriors defence was strong and kept them out and playing rugby around the halfway line.

At around the 20-minute mark, a goal line drop out gave Glasgow Warriors possession and Ally Miller ran the ball over the line unchallenged in front of the posts. Once again Weir added the extras to further extend the Warriors lead.

The strong start from Glasgow only added to their momentum and continued to pressure Boroughmuir Bears.  Mason Cullen received a yellow card for a professional foul which took them down to 15 men for the next 10 minutes.  Glasgow took this opportunity and Fraser once again got the ball down and Weir showing how its done and added the extras.

Less than five minutes later, Euan Ferrie got his name on the score sheet following a pass from Sean Kennedy. Weir again with the successful conversion saw Glasgow extend their lead to 28-0.  With just under ten minutes to go, Glasgow Warriors were in full control of the game and were awarded a penalty try once again extending their lead with just over five minutes to go in the first half.

Boroughmuir Bears, however, got a try right at half time, following a break, a kick through and Cullen chasing the ball down into the corner.  But with an unsuccessful conversion it was Glasgow Warriors who led by 30 points at the half-way mark.

The second half saw Glasgow Warriors kick-off and this half was much more of a contest from the whistle.

10 minutes into the second half, following pressure from Glasgow within the Bears 22, Gregor Brown looked like he was going to get the ball down in front of the posts but was held up.  Less than a minute later though, Brown made good on his earlier threat and put the ball down for Glasgow’s fifth try of the game. Christian Townsend stepped up to kick for the conversion with Weir having been replaced by Ben Afshar just minutes before. Townsend first conversion of the night hit the post, but he would have plenty more opportunities to kick from the T.

Several minutes later, Afshar added another for Glasgow just left of the goal posts allowing Townsend another chance at the conversion.  A successful kick from Townsend saw Glasgow add to their tally once more.

Glasgow Warriors weren’t the only ones to be penalised with Ross McKnight sent to the bin for an illegal take down of the ball.  Boroughmuir Bears used the one man advantage and made a break off a scrum and got the ball down in front of the posts. A successful conversion saw them add seven points on the board.

In the final five minutes of the game, with Glasgow Warriors back at full strength, McKnight intercepted a pass and runs the ball over the line for the final try of the evening.  Townsend once again on target with the conversion to complete the scoring.

Gregor Brown was awarded Player of the Match and presented his medal after the game by captain Sean Kennedy.




Spread the word

Newsletter Sign-up

Sign up to our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Glasgow Warriors.