Match report | Ayrshire Bulls 17-24 Glasgow Warriors A

Match report | Ayrshire Bulls 17-24 Glasgow Warriors A


A mild evening at Millbrae set the scene for the clash between the hosts Ayrshire Bulls and Glasgow Warriors A. Not having lost a game in the FOSROC Super Series Sprint, the Bulls wanted to continue their winning streak. Glasgow A came to Millbrae to disrupt and bounce back from their defeat against Boroughmuir Bears.

Richie Simpson kicked the game off. The Bulls came out of the block with speed and adrenaline ready to prove to their home crowd that they were at Millbrae to win. A kicking battle ensued between the two sides. The Bulls forced Glasgow to give away an early penalty.

The hosts went through the phases but remained 40 metres out after five minutes. Glasgow’s defence proved strong at short range and kept pushing the offensive back to near halfway. However, an advantage was given to the Bulls. A cross field kick changed the pace that Bulls needed. Winger Luca Bardelli chased the wide kick and scored the first try of the game on the leftside channel.

Glasgow was not deterred by the Bulls’s early score. Strong lineouts from Angus Fraser with right channel linespeed from Ben Salmon and Fergus Watson injected further pace into the game.

A lack of discipline from the Bulls gave Glasgow penalties which they took in their stride. Ben Afshar gathered the ball from the base of the ruck, passing it out wide to Jonny Morris who soared over the tryline.

The Warriors kept up their momentum, dominating the hosts on home turf. A break down the leftside channel gave Logan Trotter the opportunity he needed to bag Glasgow’s second try. Another break from Duncan Munn assisted Ben Afshar in scoring Glasgow’s third try.

Glasgow went into halftime 5-17 up.

The hosts did not sit back. They came out in the second half revived and gunning for Glasgow. Bulls won the penalty from the scrum in the third quarter of the game. Running the flat line, the Bulls gained ground and Jamie Shedden scored outwide in the left corner.

Having regathered momentum, the Bulls were tight in their defence and attack. However, their eagerness got the better of them and the hosts conceded penalty after penalty. A yellow card was shown to Fergus Johnston giving Glasgow the upper hand in numbers.

Yet, the Bulls held off Glasgow during the sin bin period and were quickly back to 15 men. Then Bulls’s Bobbie Beattie (VC) intercepted a loose Glasgow ball. He ran down the field and scored underneath the posts. Fergus Johnston converted and brought the score to 17 apiece.

The Warriors were not to be beaten though. Fast wide play set Trotter up for his second try of the night. Sintu Manjezi caused upsets in Bulls’ lineouts and Grant Stewart’s consistent throwing in the second half meant Glasgow dominated in the set piece.

The Bulls tried to go for a late try to even the scoreline, but Glasgow fended them off. Glasgow defended against the Bulls’s driving maul and forced the penalty. Glasgow went through the phases to retain possession and kicked the ball into touch at full-time.

Try-scorer Jonny Morris was awarded Player of the Match.

Final score: Ayrshire Bulls 17-24 Glasgow Warriors (A)


Spread the word

Newsletter Sign-up

Sign up to our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Glasgow Warriors.