Nine Warriors selected for Scotland clash with Georgia
A Scotland squad containing nine Glasgow Warriors will take to the field at Scottish Gas Murrayfield this weekend for the final match of The Famous Grouse Nations Series, as Gregor Townsend’s team takes on Georgia this Saturday evening.
Six of those Warriors will run out as part of the starting XV for the clash, Scotland’s final warm-up match before the 2023 Rugby World Cup gets underway in France next month.
Jamie Bhatti comes in to start at loosehead prop after being rested for the men in blue’s last outing in St Etienne, the Hillfoots product one of seven Glasgow players set to head to their first Rugby World Cup.
Rory Darge continues at openside flanker in an unchanged back-row, having crossed for his second Scotland try during the meeting with France in St Etienne.
Jack Dempsey joins Darge in the back-row trio, the number eight having carried more ball than any other Scottish player last time out in an all-action display.
For the third match in succession, the midfield partnership remains unchanged, meaning Sione Tuipulotu once again starts at inside centre in the dark blue jersey.
Huw Jones lines up outside his Glasgow club-mate, winning his 39th cap for Scotland as he prepares for a first outing at rugby’s biggest tournament.
Ollie Smith completes the Glasgow contingent in the starting lineup, the full-back coming into the XV for his first start since the win over Italy on the opening weekend of The Famous Grouse Nations Series.
Three further Warriors are named amongst the replacements, including second-rower Scott Cummings, who has featured in every Scotland matchday 23 of the summer.
Matt Fagerson returns to the matchday squad to make his 17th appearance in Scotland’s last 18 matches, the defeat in St Etienne the only match the back-rower has missed over that time span.
George Horne once again covers scrum-half as the final Warrior selected, having created a memorable try for Kyle Steyn during an impressive cameo from the bench last time out.
Tickets are still available for the match at Scottish Gas Murrayfield, which kicks off at 5.30pm on Saturday evening.
Scotland team to play Georgia in The Famous Grouse Nations Series at Scottish Gas Murrayfield Etienne on Saturday 26 August 2023, kick-off 5.30pm – live on Prime Video:
15. Ollie Smith (Glasgow Warriors) 5 caps
14. Darcy Graham (Edinburgh Rugby) 35 caps
13. Huw Jones (Glasgow Warriors) 38 caps
12. Sione Tuipulotu (Glasgow Warriors) 18 caps
11. Duhan van der Merwe (Edinburgh Rugby) 30 caps
10. Finn Russell (Bath Rugby) – Vice-Captain – 71 caps
9. Ben White (Toulon) 15 caps
1. Jamie Bhatti (Glasgow Warriors) 31 caps
2. Dave Cherry (Edinburgh Rugby) 9 caps
3. WP Nel (Edinburgh Rugby) 55 caps
4. Sam Skinner (Edinburgh Rugby) 27 caps
5. Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh Rugby) – Vice-captain – 64 caps
6. Jamie Ritchie (Edinburgh Rugby) – Captain – 42 caps
7. Rory Darge (Glasgow Warriors) 10 caps
8. Jack Dempsey (Glasgow Warriors) 11 caps
16. Ewan Ashman (Edinburgh Rugby) 8 caps
17. Rory Sutherland (unattached) 25 caps
18. Javan Sebastian (Edinburgh Rugby) 5 caps
19. Scott Cummings (Glasgow Warriors) 28 caps
20. Matt Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors) 35 caps
21. George Horne (Glasgow Warriors) 22 caps
22. Ben Healy (Edinburgh Rugby) 2 caps
23. Chris Harris (Gloucester Rugby) 43 caps