Glasgow Warriors 23-7 Racing 92

Glasgow Warriors 23-7 Racing 92

It was another special European Champions Cup evening at Scotstoun for Glasgow Warriors, as Gregor Townsend’s side produced a memorable performance to record a 23-7 win over Racing 92.

Josh Strauss – on the occasion of his 100th appearance for the club -, Fraser Brown and Ali Price touched down in a dominant display from the Warriors, with Finn Russell claiming the man-of-the-match award for the second week running as the Scotstoun side did the double over their French opponents.

Right from the first whistle, Glasgow showed they were in the mood to run the ball. Their early enterprise was rewarded with a tremendous early try, as Russell’s chip over the top was gathered by the onrushing Tommy Seymour who sprinted clear of the defence. The winger fed the supporting Stuart Hogg, who stepped inside the last defender and offloaded to Strauss to send the number eight over for a try rapturously received by the Warrior Nation. Russell’s conversion drifted wide, but Glasgow led 5-0 after as many minutes.

The Warriors were on top across the park, with fierce defence paired with an attacking verve and willingness to attack from anywhere. Just moments after Russell was dragged down just inches short of the line, Glasgow had their second try. A short pass from the Warriors fly-half was taken by a rampaging Fraser Brown, who sprinted over from 15 metres to score. With the conversion added by Russell, the Warriors had a 12-0 advantage.

With the Scotstoun faithful in full voice, Glasgow continued to dominate territory as they pinned their visitors back, the shrewd boot of Russell ensuring the home side were playing I the right areas. Chances continued to come the Warriors’ way, with Lee Jones and Sam Johnson amongst those to break the line at will.

Even when they were tested, Glasgow’s defence was equal to the threat posed by Racing; Russell and Seymour combined to stop Marc Andreu’s breakaway, whilst the visiting pack could find no way through their hosts.

Gregor Townsend’s side were now camped in the Racing 22, with only some desperate defence from the French side denying the Warriors a third try. They were powerless to stop Russell extending Glasgow’s lead with a penalty, however, as the game ticked towards the half-hour mark.

Another Russell penalty two minutes before the interval took the score to 18-0, and that was how the first half was to finish despite the best efforts of the visitors – Seymour producing a last-ditch tackle to deny Andreu with the last play of the half.

began the second half in the same way they had spent most of the first, as they
exerted yet more pressure in Racing’s territory. On 46 minutes, that pressure
eventually told. Spotting a gap around the edge of a ruck, Ali Price darted
over out wide to the delight of the Warrior Nation. The scrum-half’s third try
in three games took the score to 23-0 in favour of the home side, with
Russell’s conversion sailing wide.

The visitors
responded with their first spell of prolonged possession in the game as they
took play into the Glasgow 22. The Warriors’ defence held firm, though, with
Jonny Gray and Tim Swinson combining to produce the crucial turnover.

Racing were
looking dangerous, however, and were only denied their first score of the
evening by a knock-on over the try-line. Just moments later, another attack was
repelled by the Warriors, with Glasgow’s scramble defence keeping the French
side at bay.

As the game
entered the final quarter, both sides were looking for any opportunity to
attack. Racing’s physical attack saw the make yards in midfield, whilst the
Warriors were keenly looking for any chance to counter-attack as they searched
for the all-important fourth try.

In a frantic
final 10 minutes, there was to be a consolation score for Racing. After good
work from Dimitri Szarzewski, replacement scrum-half Xavier Chauveau was on
hand to touch down. A tricky conversion was added by Benjamin Dambielle from
the touchline, reducing the gap to 23-7.

Despite the
Warriors regathering the kick-off, there was to be no attacking bonus-point for
Gregor Townsend’s men. Yet the Warrior Nation were in no mood to complain,
after a victory that sees their side move top of their Champions Cup pool and
within sight of a first-ever European quarter-final.

Spread the word

Newsletter Sign-up

Sign up to our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Glasgow Warriors.