Cardiff Blues 34-38 Glasgow Warriors

Cardiff Blues 34-38 Glasgow Warriors

Both teams scored five tries a piece and it was the boot of Man of the Match Peter Horne that eventually gave Glasgow the edge as they won 34-38 taking five precious points back to Scotstoun.

It was the hosts who started the brighter, scoring with just three minutes played as the Glasgow defence fell off tackles to let them in.

Horne slotted a simple three points to get Glasgow on the board shortly after before Nick Grigg crossed to put his side in front.

Ruaridh Jackson collected a loose cross field kick from the Blues and raced free down the left wing. Grigg was on his shoulder to convert a simple two on one.

Just minutes later Warriors had their second. Horne running a lovely line in attack, breaking the Cardiff defensive line before offloading to Grigg who in turn offloaded to Ali Price who gratefully collected to run clear.

Glasgow looked to be in control and with 30 minutes played they had a third try. Horne turning from provider to scorer, running a clever support line on the shoulder of debutant Kyle Steyn to collect his offload one meter from the line and touch down.

Cardiff weren’t done yet however and a try in the dying moments of the first 40 took the shine off an impressive opening half for Glasgow, and the hosts started the second period as they finished the first, bursting out of the blocks to reduce Warriors’ lead.

A Jarrod Evans penalty cut Glasgow’s advantage to just two points, but it was the Warriors who would strike next. Nick Frisby scoring his first try for the club, darting under the posts after a driving maul had made good meters.

Glasgow saved their best score for last. Just moments after Frisby had given them some breathing space George Turner hit a perfect line in attack splitting the Blues’ defence.

He ran straight over the full back before feeding Tevita Tameilau who raced clear from half way with his first touch, displaying impressive pace as he was chased down by Cardiff defenders.

However, with just five minutes to play Glasgow switched off. Conceding back to back tries they instantly went from a position of control to looking like they might sacrifice the lead in the final moments.

Thankfully the defence held out and managed to clear the ball to the stands cementing a crucial bonus point win to keep the heat on Munster at the top of Conference A.

Spread the word

Newsletter Sign-up

Sign up to our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Glasgow Warriors.